Google+ The Nostalgic Nightingale: Organizing: DIY Layered Hangers

Monday, April 28, 2014

Organizing: DIY Layered Hangers

While tackling the closets during Spring cleaning, I realized that no matter how hard I try I can't seem to keep my hanging clothes in order. My usual go to method of organizing my clothes is to sort them by tops and bottoms and by color. I also try to keep the clothes organized by style, as in short sleeves then long sleeves. Since DH and I live in Oklahoma we can't exactly pack away our 'Winter clothes' because the weather changes so often, you'll never know when you'll need that article of clothing! This is a lot of work just for clothes if you ask me not to mention how much space all of it consumes. So you can imagine how thrilled I was to figure out how to layer hangers.

For child sized and other select hangers, this project is super simple as all you'll need are the hangers and... Pop Tabs!

Simply slide a hanger hook into the top hole of the pop tab; and after "tabbing" a few hangers, then slide one of those tabbed hanger hooks into the bottom pop tab hole of another tabbed hanger to layer them. Was that confusing? If so please leave a comment and I'll try to give a better explaination.

I love using these layered hangers to organize similar clothing (as shown in the first photo) and to put together outfits to make mornings a little easier!

Now I do want to mention that not all hangers will easily slide into the pop tabs, in fact most of our hangers wouldn't fit in the bottom holes. To fix this, I grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the aluminum inside the bottom hole to enlarge it. This allowed several hangers to be layered thus saving a lot of closet bar space!

We'd love to know how you keep your hanging clothes sorted and organized - drop a comment or link below to share with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment