Google+ The Nostalgic Nightingale: General Crafting: Pudding Cup Play Dough

Sunday, April 13, 2014

General Crafting: Pudding Cup Play Dough

Hey everyone,

Since the weather has been on the stormy side today I decided to try out a craft I recently pinned: pudding play dough. (Check out my pinterest board Inspiration - General Crafting for the pin as I cannot current add links in my blog posts.)

The instructions seemed easy enough however my formula is different than the original pin and I believe its due to my climate difference. Before we begin I want to mention that while this play dough is concocted of edible ingredients, it doesn't exactly taste the best. (Thanks to DH for taste testing!!!) So below is my quick how to for creating pudding cup play dough!

What I Used:
~ 1 cup cornstarch
~ 1 1/4 tsp vegetable oil
~ 1 chips ahoy flavored pudding cup

What I Did:
1) Mixed the cornstarch, 1/4 tsp oil, & the pudding cup in a medium glass bowl.
2) After stirring with a fork until crumbs formed, I added another 1/4 tsp of oil and continued to mix. (You don't have to use a fork; I have a small hand injury so I couldn't just dive right in with my hands.)
3) Then DH stepped in and began to knead it with his hands, forming a ball shape & adding 1/4 tsp more vegetable oil.
4) Then we removed it from the bowl and began to work with it on a metal sheet slightly dusted with cornstarch; and decided it still needed more oil.
5) After playing with it for approx 15 minutes, the dough was sticking to our hands leading us to add the final 1/4 tsp of oil.

The final product resulted in a texture that was remarkably similar the commerical option but smells a lot better. Also this homemade play dough does stick to our hands ever so slightly just as the commerical option does. And while I'm sure I have an empty icing tub I could repurpose, I simply stored our pudding cup play dough in a zipper baggy.

We'd love to see your pudding cup play dough creations, leave a link or comment below so we can check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment