Google+ The Nostalgic Nightingale: Health: Sore Throat Syrup

Monday, November 25, 2013

Health: Sore Throat Syrup

DH hasn't been feeling well again, experiencing a dry scratchy throat. While we do have commercial brand cough drops, this morning I made a batch of all natural homemade sore throat syrup to soothe his symptoms. I found this recipe over at Wanting What You Have; I decreased the measurements to suit my family's needs. My recipe below creates approximately 6 ounces of sore throat syrup.
Also please note that this all natural remedy is intended to soothe sore throats only. This syrup will not suppress coughing, merely easy the experience.




What I Used:
~ 1/4 cup lemon juice (from organic concentrate)
~ 5/8 cup local pure raw honey
(measurements translate to 1/2 plus 1/8 of a cup)
~ 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
~ medium sized sauce pan
~ plastic and glass measuring cups
~ plastic ladle
~ sanitized re-purposed glass containers (baby food jar, beer bottle, etc)
~ reusable wine corks


What I Did:
1) Placed approximately four inches of water in the sauce pan and set the heat on low - medium to gently boil the water.

2) Added the ingredients to the glass measuring cup and sort of stirred it.
(Yes, the ingredients will separate, but don't worry about it.)

3) Placed the measuring cup inside the sauce pan to create a double boiler.

4) Waited for the honey mixture to steam, stirring often. (My camera couldn't take a decent photograph of the steaming mixture, but I'm sure you get the idea.)

5) Once the honey mixture began to steam I removed it from the heat and transferred it to the glass containers.


Directions for Use:
*Do Not give to children under one year of age as it may cause infant botulism, a rare form of food poisoning.*

Drink 1 tablespoon of syrup every hour as symptoms persist. This syrup can be used with over the counter fever and pain relievers such as ibuprofen or aspirin.


How do you soothe a sore throat?

No comments:

Post a Comment