Google+ The Nostalgic Nightingale: Winter Crafting: Puzzle Piece Snowflake Hang

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Winter Crafting: Puzzle Piece Snowflake Hang

It seems like forever since I've posted any sort of craft, doesn't it? Well I have been crafting a lot lately but since most of it's holiday gifts, I have to wait until after December 25th to share them. Don't fret though, I do have a few non gift crafts to share and the first is a puzzle piece snowflake hang decoration! I was inspired by RedTedArt when Maggie posted these puzzle piece snowflake ornaments, but for some reason I couldn't get the little buggers to turn out as nice as her. So after a bit of tinkering, I created larger puzzle piece snowflake hangs to use as decoration for the walls!



What I Used:
recycled cereal box
pencil
ruler
battery
exacto knife
white chalk marker
popsicle sticks
E6000 or hot glue gun & sticks
white twine

What I Did:
1) I created my own puzzle pieces by using the ruler and pencil to measure and mark out the back of the recycled cereal box into a grid and then traced the side of a battery to create the bumps in each puzzle piece.
2) After that was done, I cut out the pieces very carefully using the exacto knife. (You can skip this step if you already have a puzzle on hand you wish to use. I didn't have a puzzle nor did I have the money to buy one so I just made one!)
3) I used the white chalk marker to color each puzzle piece white to resemble a snowflake, let dry completely.
4) Then I arranged the puzzle pieces on the popsicle sticks before glueing to ensure proper placement.
5) Next I glued the pieces in place on top of the popsicle sticks and let it completely dry.
6) Once the snowflake was dry I hot glued some white twine as a hanger to the back side of the snowflake on one of the popsicle sticks, and let dry completely. Now it's ready to hang!

With having made the puzzle pieces by hand, each snowflake hang is 100% unlike any other snowflake decoration! We also hung up a few paper snowflake decorations we made last year or the year before. Now I think it's starting look like Christmas down here in Florida! What do you think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment