Google+ The Nostalgic Nightingale: Health: DIY Peppermint Toothpaste

Friday, January 17, 2014

Health: DIY Peppermint Toothpaste

There are a multitude of reasons why one may choose to make toothpaste at home instead of purchasing the commercial options; but let's skip over the why, as I'm sure you've done the research and don't need another lecture. Below is the formula for an all natural peppermint toothpaste that DH and I personally enjoy. 

What I Used:
2 tbsp powdered Calcium Carbonate
1 tsp All Natural Baking Soda
1 1/2 tbsp liquefied Organic Refined Coconut Oil
15 drops - approximately 1/2 tsp Oral Peppermint Spirits with Chlorophyll


What I Did:
1) In a sterilized glass jar, mixed the powder ingredients until well combined.


2) Added the coconut oil.


3) Added the peppermint spirits.


4) Stir until the texture is a paste consistency.



To Use:
Dip toothbrush into paste, scooping if necessary, to cover the bristles with a layer of toothpaste. Brush teeth in a circular motion, paying extra attention to the gum line. Spit paste into sink as water gently runs; rinse toothbrush and mouth with water. Follow with a mouth rinse, if desired.

Notes: This formula makes enough toothpaste to last DH and I approximately 2 months with regular brushing twice a day. If the lid is not replaced after use, the toothpaste may dry out a bit. If this occurs try heating the toothpaste to liquefy the coconut oil, or another option is to simply stir in a small amount more of coconut oil. I chose to use the peppermint spirits with chlorophyll instead of the commonly used essential oils because only select brands of essential oils are advised for internal use, such as doterra, and I do not purchase those brands. Instead I venture out and try new products ( such as the peppermint oil in the chlorophyll) that are intended for internal use to address particular concerns (digestive health). Although we aren't attempting to address any digestive issues with this toothpaste, we know it's safe if the concoction was accidentally swallowed. For those wanting to know more about the use and risks of peppermint oral spirits, I suggest reading THIS article by Health Central.

As I'm sure those who've researched other diy toothpaste formulas noticed, I do not use bentonite clay in my personal formula. I specifically omitted this ingredient because, after researching, I've concluded while the clay is beneficial for many others, it could pose a serious danger to myself and my family as it very well may draw out the mercury from my crown and metal fillings! If you want to know more about the dangers of metal fillings and mercury poisoning, I suggest reading at least the following articles:





Share with us in the comments below your thoughts on our all natural toothpaste or if you have a formula of your own, go ahead and leave a link for us to explore!


No comments:

Post a Comment