Google+ The Nostalgic Nightingale: Cooking: Blackberry Bars

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Cooking: Blackberry Bars

The other morning I made Blackberry Bars for us to snack on throughout the day. 


 I found this recipe in the October 1997 Easy Bisquick Suppers recipe book on page 90. The recipe is titled raspberry bars but I only had blackberry fruit spread in the cupboard and the substitution note did suggest apricot, blackberry, or strawberry.




What I Used:
~ 1 cups Bisquick baking mix
~ 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
~ 3/8 cup packed brown sugar
~ 1/4 cup softened margarine
~ 1/2 cup blackberry fruit spread



What I Did:
1) Preheated the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit while I combined the baking mix, oats, and brown sugar in a large bowl then cut in the margarine until the mixture was crumbly in texture.

2) Next I pressed half of the crumbly mixture in an 8"x 8" aluminum foil pan.

3) I then smothered the crumble crust using the fruit spread to within 1/4" of the edges.

4) Here I tossed the remaining crumble mixture over the spread and pressed it gently into the fruit.

5) Then into the oven it went for approximately 25 minutes.

6) Once completed cooled, I cut it into little bars. If it's not completely cooled before being cut, the bars will crumble. This recipe made approximately 16 squares.



What's your favorite baked fruit bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment